Thursday, August 18, 2011

Soggy nuts - yummm!

A few years ago, when a wiley naturopath asked me if I had tried soaking my nuts, I casually replied 'no it's just the way my trousers hang'.
I scarcely thought about that sexy day ever again until I saw these 'activated nuts' in the health food store yesterday for $10 a bag and I decided to do some investimagating.... Turns out that lady wasn't just a pervy crackpot, and after a spot of rampant googling I found out that all nuts and seeds should be soaked before we humans eat em, otherwise they can be difficult to digest.... See clipping below:
"All nuts (and seeds) have an enzyme inhibitor that keeps them from sprouting into the tree, bush or plant that they carry inside of them. Once they are planted in the ground and given some water, the enzyme inhibitor is destroyed and the nut/seed can begin to sprout."
So I decided to give it a whirl, since I am a dab hand with a sprouting jar anyway, whats the worst that can happen?! I dragged my trusty sprout jar from the back of the pantry from whence it had been recently relegated, due to the wintery weather and promptly got to work... I put them in the jar 2 parts water to 1 part almonds, soaked them overnight and then rinsed and drained them this morning and they were awesome... I thought they might taste a bit gross but actually theyre sweeter and nicer than normal nuts.
Now I'm planning to make activated nut butter to spread on my toast with my freshly whizzed 'date and raisin chai spiced puree' that I made in my new blender last night.
Will let you know how it all goes... I can tell you're as excited as I am to hear the results. Teehee.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment